TUTORIAL:Updating to V09 from ANY Version

edited March 2010 in enV Touch General
***If you are upgrading to V09 from any version besides V08, note that you will have to upgrade to V08 first, using a program called LGNPST instead of the Mobile Update Tool***

0. If you are not logged in on an account with Administrator privileges, you should either do so, or be sure to run all programs as an Admin. Vista users may have to regardless.
1. Download http://rapidshare.com/files/365263414/enVTouch.zip and unzip the folder, preferably just to your Desktop, and within it you should see a LGNPSTv1.2 folder, a LGVX-11000 folder, and a polaris7 zip file. Download the LG Mobile Updater at http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/client/app/Verizon/LGMobileUpdate.exe and install it.
2. On your enV Touch, go to the main Menu>Settings (and Tools)>USB Auto Detection, and select Modem Mode. You may also need to put your phone in Airplane mode, which you can do by going to the main Menu>Settings (and Tools)>Phone Settinga>Airplane Mode>On.
3. Connect your phone to your computer via USB, and if necessary run the Mobile Updater and install the USB drivers.
4. Identify what software version your enV Touch is running. To do this, on your phone, go to the main Menu>Settings (and Tools)>Phone Info>SW/HW Version. Then look at the version under [SW Version]; it should be VX11KV??. The ?? is what software version you are running.
If you are running V09, but your browser crashes the phone, skip to step 17.
If you are running V08, you don't need to perform the LGNPST steps, and can skip to step 16.
If you are running V07 or lower, you'll need to perform the LGNPST steps, so continue to step 5.
5. Go into the enV Touch folder you downloaded, then LGNPSTv1.2, then LG_NPST, and install all three Windows Installer Packages (the .msi files - LGNPST_Components_Ver_3_0_5_0.msi, LGNPST_GenericModels_Ver_3_0_7_0.msi, and LGNPSTv1.2_Store_Version.msi). Although I did not have to when I did this, it may be a good idea to restart your computer after installing all three .msi files.
6. Go to My Computer, then your C: drive, go to LG Electronics, (If you do not see LG Electronics, go into Phone Flashing Applications first) then LGNPST. If there is a folder called 'model' go there, otherwise create a new folder, name it 'model' (no quotation marks), and go into it.
7. From the enV Touch folder you downloaded, copy the LGVX-11000 folder, and paste it into this 'model' folder.
8. To open up the 'Run' command, press the Windows key and R, and then type this:
regsvr32 "C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VX11K.dll"
(regsvr32 "C:\Phone Flashing Applications\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VX11K.dll")
OR
regsvr32 "C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VRZ/VX11K.dll"
(regsvr32 "C:\Phone Flashing Applications\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VRZ/VX11K.dll")
If you receive an error, go into either C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000 or C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VRZ and drag and drop the file VX11K.dll onto the program called Reggie.exe within that folder.

9. Turn your phone off, and remove the SD Card. Your phone should still be recognized by the computer after a few seconds of being connected but turned off.
10. Now get back to C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST (C:\Phone Flashing Applications\LG Electronics\LGNPST), and run LGNPST.exe. If you are running either Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on LGNPST.exe, go to Properties, go to the compatibility tab, and uncheck the compatibility box, then you can run LGNPST.exe.
11. It should detect your phone, but if it shows up as UNKNOWN as the model, Go to File>Select DLL, and then select the LGVX11K.dll file in whichever location you registered.
12. Below the table in which your phone should be listed as VX11000, select Upgrade under the Provision tab.
13. Down and to the right it should say BIN File, and to the right of that there should be a small folder icon, click on it. Select the VX11KV08_07.bin file in C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VRZ (C:\Phone Flashing Applications\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VRZ)
14. Click START, and your phone should update to V08. It will take some time, and your phone will likely reboot. Wait until LGNPST says that it has completed the update.
If an error occurs during this process, you may need to go into the C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VRZ (C:\Phone Flashing Applications\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VRZ) and rename VX11KV08_07.bin to VX11KV08.bin.
If you get the error "ERROR Unable to load [UtilCom] Component," check that you've installed all three .msi files, registered the .dll successfully, chosen the correct bin, and restarted your computer since installing the .msi files.
15. Check at this point that your phone is running V08 by going to the main Menu>Settings (and Tools)>Phone Info>SW/HW Version. Then look at the version under [SW Version]; it should be VX11KV08.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    NOTE: THIS PERTAINS TO STEP 8
    if you have a tough registering this way, then try this: FOR ANYONE GETTING THE "HRESULT == 0x80020009 Exception occurred" ERROR CODE WHILE TRYING TO REGISTER THE DLL ONTO REGGIE.EXE, DOWNLOAD THIS DLL REGISTER PROGRAM:
    http://download.cnet.com/Emsa-Register-Dll-Tool/3000-18487_4-54624.html
    (TO ACTIVATE IT: GO TO THIS SITE http://www.e-systems.ro/activator.asp?RegTool)

AFTER YOU USE THE CODE TO ACTIVATE, BROWSE FOR THE "VX11K.dll" in "LGVX-11000" FOLDER, AND HIT ACTIVEX

IT WILL REGISTER THE DLL WITH NO PROBLEMMM!!!!!!! from a tip from nbaj

16. Now you will be updating to V09. Run the LG Mobile Update Tool that you installed earlier. You should have your phone connected and turned off now. The Tool should tell you that you need to update your software, so hit continue, and allow it to install V09. Updating can take from 5 to 20 minutes depending on your computer, so just be patient. Once it has completed the installation, you can turn your phone on, and check that it is running V09 by going to the main Menu>Settings (and Tools)>Phone Info>SW/HW Version. Then look at the version under [SW Version]; it should be VX11KV09. If not, you've done something wrong.
    *If the Mobile Update Tool only gives you the option of installing the drivers (the usb driver install loop), according to 'v941726', you can get around this by turning off your internet connection when it starts to download the drivers. It will tell you that it failed, close the program, reconnect to your internet, and run the Mobile Update Tool (edit: press start updating again, dont restart the program kpc) again (Can anyone else confirm that this corrects the issue?).

* another tip from jonilink about the usb loop: updated and worked fine had to type in the MEID behind the battery to bypass the infinite driver loop everything working smoothly

*If it hangs up at 7% while updating, according to 'ronmagalow', start the update with the phone off, microsd card removed, and battery in. When it freezes at 7%, take the battery out, put it back in, turn the phone on, and then rerun the update (Can anyone else confirm that this corrects the issue?).
    17. The rest of the steps will correct the problem of the browser crashing the phone in the versions with Polaris. If you don't use the browser because you don't have an unlimited date plan, or just don't ever use it, this is not necessary. However, if you ever accidentally run the Browser, your phone may crash and reboot, so this might be a good idea. You can check to see if yours does this by running the web browser on your phone (Menu>Browser), and see whether it runs properly.
    18. Download and install BitPim from http://www.bitpim.org/#download . Run BitPim, and it should recognize your connected and POWERED ON phone. If it doesn't auto-recognize it, go to Edit>Settings>Phone Type: LG-VX11000. If it asks your for a name, you can put whatever. Go to View>View File System and make sure it is checked. In the left pane, click Filesystem, and in the next pane, click the + sign and allow BitPim to load your entire phone's directory.
    19. Go to brew and open that directory, and then go into mod, then go down until you see a polaris7 folder and an obigo folder. This is the reason the phone crashes, it tries to run both web browsers. Additionally, the polaris7 folder is incomplete. However, it is a good idea to back up both of these folders by right clicking on them and backing up those directories to your desktop or somewhere.
    20. Now, delete both the polaris7 and the obigo folder from your phone. Right click on the mod folder, and choose Restore, then go to the enV Touch folder you downloaded, and select the polaris7.zip file. It should show all the files about to be restored to the phone. Make sure they are being restored to brew/mod/polaris7. Also, the file which is to be restored to brew/mod/polaris7/security/certtrustedca/eir_8080.der will not work, so uncheck that file, and then restore the files.
    21. Once this is done, you should have a properly working web browser, which you can check by running it on your phone.

***If you use this and come across any errors, or know of errors that people get and know how to fix them, let me know and I will add them, as I would like for this to be a comprehensive tutorial***
  • just so you know dall, my obigo folder was gone since i went to v08..i was about to tell you this in the other v09 update thread...but by all means, people should check...this is very concise...i wish we could sticky it
  • yeah, im not sure how your polaris successfully replaced your obigo folder when you went to 08. I came from 05 and I had to correct it, I wonder where the problem comes from.
  • seems to depend on the phone. it seems not too much has been consistent with the touch...even if you take it the store its hit or miss apparently. guess i was lucky
  • who knows, but thank goodness some of you guys were able to get a complete polaris7 folder or we'd all be out of luck!
  • yeah. i guess your right...sharing is good.
  • edited March 2010
    #10 should read "go to start>phone flashing applications>LG Electronics>LGNPST"

#19 and #20 should also read "brew>mod" folder

but other than that, great job at compiling this information.

and my phone, I had to delete the obigo folder.
  • dall: that link in step 1 is for v08 just so you know..no biggie though. have to get to 8 before you can get to 9
  • can you edit it to what mac said dall?
  • thanks alot, i will be doing this after school...
  • edited March 2010
    @Mac When I did mine, it didn't make it in a Phone Flashing Applications, but I have added this in parentheses for those whose is like that.

@v What are you talking about "that link in step 1 is for v08" ?
  • I'm so confused... that updater program does nothing but install the driver for me? help!
  • dall. the li nk has v08 files

it is suppose to .
  • Yeah v, macs right it's supposed to have v08 files so you can use lgnpst to flash to v08. As far as I know the v09 files haven't been released.

Googs, youre talking about the mobile update tool? Seems you're caught in the driver install loop. Um there's been some posts in this forum about that, I'll look into it and update this tut if there's a solution.
  • just posted this on ajklines forum.
    http://s1.zetaboards.com/KlineAJEnV/topic/3073400/1/
  • The updater keeps getting stuck at 7% and wont reconnect to the computer

it is suppose to .

the title says v09
  • v - the file is to get you to v08 first, for which those files are necessary, and then the mobile update tool should be able to get you to v09 on its own.
    brian - hm, i remember people getting that error too. i never got it so i dont know what causes it, but ill try to find out how to fix it.
  • It wouldn't work with my windows 7 computer but I finally got it to work with a computer running xp.
  • edited March 2010
    brian - according to 'ronmagalow', if you start the update with the phone off, microsd card removed, but battery in, and then it freezes at 7%, then you should at this point take the battery out, and put it back in, turn the phone on, and then rerun the update and it should work.

http://www.envtouch.org/discussion/1001/software-v09-now-available/#Item_50
  • dall: see, i and others others know that, but that question keeps popping up in other threads...maybe point 1a. or something in italics at the beginning about having to go to v08 1st before v09.
  • I've been working at this for 2 days, follow the steps over and over, i cant get LGNPST to see the DLL file. I've registed it with CMD in admin mode, and with reggie. Its registered, just not seein my phone- (UNKNOWN), and i go to file>select dll and it doesnt see the vx11k.dll.
  • edited March 2010
    do you have the file in the right place? see above
  • edited March 2010
    Its in C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000 and in C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model\LGVX-11000\VRZ

and both are registered. And my phones USB auto detect is modem, i turn it off, connect via USB, load LGNPST, and it says unknown and i cant see the DLL. Drivers are installed correctly. Im coming from v07, registered the dll files first with CMD, then reggie.
  • that is correct. did you put the phone in airplane mode too.
  • I have to put it in airplane mode even if the phone is turned off?
  • I know all of us here like to tinker with our phones, but the Verizon stores have V09 now (at least the ones by me do). Took me all of 20 minutes to take it in there and have them do it
  • My VZ store doesnt have it yet. They say v07.. But damn, i really want v09, and i have to do 8 first, so thats what im stuck on, because if i use the LG updater tool it says not support version, i just cant get LGNPST to recognize my cell. Im on windows 7 x86 (32bit) Ultimate. I tried it with the phone on, and in airplane mode, still no DLL file.
  • edited March 2010
    turning off does not mean fully turned off, it means to the point of charging mode so it is connected, fully on in airplane mode i think is more reliable cuz in charging mode it could depend on when your pc will "connect" w/ the phone..you should hear the beep or whatever sound your pc makes when it recognizes a usb connection
This discussion has been closed.