custom ringtones

trying to upload mp3 ringtones I created from the sd card with no luck. Also I've tried to go the BitPim route but can't find my enV Touch listed yet. Anyone out there with success on non-Verizon purchased ringtones?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Hi abctwhite, welcome to the forums! Feel free to make a thread introducing yourself in the "Introduce yourself" category.

Here's a method you might want to try to hack a custom ringtone onto your enV Touch:
    Make an mp3 ringtone file (I'm not sure about size limitations, but you might need to try limiting the length and filesize) and put it in the "my_sounds" folder on your SD card. Replace the SD card in your phone, then click the blue icon with the white dots to open the menu. Go to "Media Center" > "Music and Tones". Then open "My Sounds" and hopefully you'll find your custom ringtone inside. Choose it, then select "Options" > "Set As" > "Ringtone".

Here's another method to try if that doesn't work:
    On your phone, record a sound onto the SD card. Turn your phone off, remove the card and put it in your computer. If not enabled, make sure you "Show Extensions" in the folder options of your operating system. Rename your ringtone mp3 or wav to the exact filename and extension as your sound recording, then copy it into "my_sounds" replacing the recorded file. Then try setting the sound as your ring the same way as above.

Let us know how this works out for you.

UPDATE
    Lars82 contributes a third method: "Another idea for ringtones is to send yourself a sound bit via phone or email and save it as ringtone which will then pop up in your ringtones folder :)"
  • I tried the second method and it worked great! Thanks for the information.
  • Thanks Andy, but I didn't have success like the other post. I tried both methods and could see the mp3 file in the sounds folder on the sd card, and could save it as a ringtone, but it wouldn't show up in the "my ringtones" slot on the phone...what did I miss?

I did have success on the phonezoo website creating a ringtone and having it picture-texted to my phone, where I saved it as a ringtone and then authorized it to be put in the ringtones section of the env touch. Can't wait to see how many junk mails I'll get for that method!
  • if you dont have a memory card... cant you do it like in the internal memory??
  • Thanks a lot for the information andy! the first method (my sounds folder...set as) worked perfectly. Although it does not show up in ringtones folder it works wonderfully for calls and alerts. I don't recall this feature on prior phones (voyager, 8700...) but am really glad i am able to do this on the phone which will unlimit my ringtone possibilities. Another idea for ringtones is to send yourself a sound bit via phone or email and save it as ringtone which will then pop up in your ringtones folder :)
  • twhite: As Lars pointed out, your file won't show up under My Ringtones, but try "My Sounds" > "Options" > "Set As" > "Ringtone

Lars: Thanks for the tip about emailing your file! I'll add it to the methods above.
  • Is any of this do-able through the USB cable?
  • The best Free service i have found for making custom ringtones in mobile17.com. You create an account for you phone (free) then upload a song to their site and select the portion of it you want and it sends it to you phone as a pix message. You then you just save the sound as a ringtone when u receive the pix msg. Its really easy and works better and the sound quality is better then every other method I have tried.
  • edited June 2009
    I tried mobile17.com and the Touch wasn't on the list.

I did, however, find a way to get great custom tones, regardless of length. All you need is a friend or relative with a Blackberry or other smartphone. I had my brother download some ringtones from Crackberry.com and then try to send them to me via picture message. I recieved them and saved them as ringtones to my phone. I got a couple minute and a half clips, as well as full songs saved as ringtones.
  • I don't think your phone has to be on the list at mobile17.com. Just select verizon as your provider and put the voyager as your phone that should work. I'm trying it now to make sure. I will post again when i find out for sure.
  • Ok i just tried it by selecting LG voyager as your phone and it works great! Enjoy guys, great free way to make ringtones!
  • Another way I have created a ringtone is by using itunes...see the instructions I found and edited from another forum below:

1. Pick a good 20-30 seconds of the song you want, make sure you know the start time and end time.
    2. Right click on the song select GET INFO. Then pick the OPTIONS tab. There you enter the start and end time you want as your ringtone.
    3. Hit enter, and then go to advanced>create mp3 version. iTunes will automatically cut that piece of the song for you and create an additional song in your itunes library that is only 20-30 seconds long. At this point, you want to right click the original song u used, go to GET INFO, and deselect the start and end times.
    4. I recommend dragging and dropping your new ringtone you created and placing it on the desktop, so that way when you hook up your phone or chip to your comp, you can find that ringtone easily.
  • you really do not need bitpim to get free ringtones.. as lonog as you have a micro SD Card, all you have to do is download audacity (search it on google), pick a song, crop 30 seconds out of it, and save it in the my_sounds folder in the SD card once it is formatted through the phone. Enjoy =)
  • Just tried my luck at www.phonezoo.com and I must say I am impressed! The ringtones on this phone are not very loud but some of the ones I have gotten from phonezoo are much louder.
  • I've been using Phonezoo for a couple weeks now and am happy with the way I can edit my iTunes songs into ringtones, and that Phonezoo saves them for me. That came in handy when I exchanged my 1st Touch for another, hoping for better earpiece quality. I just opened the 'my zoo' file and had the ringtones sent to my phone.

BTW, jvrcb17, I don't think that ringtones are saved on the sd card. At least, that's what the manual said. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Thanks!
  • Renaming .mp3's to .wav works great if you're transferring them via bluetooth... Even to the internal memory (I haven't gotten my 16gb SD yet).
  • You guys should try tonethis, its a great program, free, and you can edit wallpapers, videos and ringtones. It takes whatever song you have, you can edit the length, volume and quality, then it sends a msg to your phone with the attached file, all you have to do is save it as a ring tone. you can grab pictures, select the voyager as the touch isnt on there yet, and it adjust the size to fit the screen, altho its still 40x240 instead of 800x480 but the files still look great. I used it on my voyager and also my wifes env2 and its fantastic.
  • i prefer www.myxer.com to make my own ringtones....they have the enVTouch on there and its all good...

STEPS
    you can search for free ringtones, but you can upload your own song and completely customize how long and which part of the song you want....
    ive found it best once your ready to send it to your phone, download it to your computer and attach the file to an email
    email them to your phone number @vzwpix.com (##########@vzwpix.com), once you receive the message save it as ringtone and your all set
  • What is with this "30 Seconds" Limitation??? I have SEVERAL Ringtones that are OVER 40 Seconds & even one that is 70 Seconds long & they ALL PLAY PERFECTLY... I use "AUDACITY" with the "LAME MP3 Encoder" & it WORKS EVERY TIME :)
  • My previous phone, the lg vu, had a 30 second limit (I think it was actually a file size limit). It drove me nuts. The enV touch has no limit. I just pull full songs out of my music and place them in my sounds to use them as ring tones.
  • I use audacity with the lame encoder also. I just limit mine to a thirty second clip of a sound file because the my phone doesn't ring for longer than 30 sec. Anything after 30 for me is a waste of Mbs
  • edited August 2009
    If you select "USB Mass storage" can you just drag them and put them on the card that way?
  • edited August 2009
    There is also another way to do this. Go to phonezoo.com and make an account. You can make your own ringtones out of whatever you want. Then just send 'em to your phone! :)
  • edited August 2009
    I would rather Choose from My 240GB+ Collection of Music ") & what is this "30 Second Limit"??? I have made SEVERAL 40+ Second Ringtones without ANY Problems :)
  • I tried to email it to myself, the quality was horrible, did anyone else experience this?
  • I also emailed one and ended up with horrible quality.
    the method below from user Andy at beginning of this thread works fine. excellent quality.

On your phone, record a sound onto the SD card. Turn your phone off, remove the card and put it in your computer. If not enabled, make sure you "Show Extensions" in the folder options of your operating system. Rename your ringtone mp3 or wav to the exact filename and extension as your sound recording, then copy it into "my_sounds" replacing the recorded file. Replace the SD card in your phone, then click the blue icon with the white dots to open the menu. Go to "Media Center" > "Music and Tones". Then open "My Sounds" and hopefully you'll find your custom ringtone inside. Choose it, then select "Options" > "Set As" > "Ringtone".

Also, Myxer.com works very well and on that site you can select your favorite part of a song you upload and make it a ringtone which is then sent to your phone.
  • *** I use audacity with the lame encoder... it WORKS PERFECTLY EVERY TIME & with a Kingston 8GB MicroSDHC card I hafve NO WORRIES about Storage Space :)
  • I too have used audacity, which is a free to download program with which one may select a portion of a sound file and save it. to work with mp3 files you can use the LAME encoder which is also a free download. these are easily found with google.

*** jimiznhb, i think the 30 second limit concern comes from two sources,
    one--there are some older phones which limit the size of ringtone files. and
    two--most carriers send a caller to voicemail at around 30 or so seconds,
    so anything running longer isn't likely to be heard for an incoming call.

on my previous phone (motorazor2 v9m) i enjoyed longer ringtones as they would play all the way through for an incoming text message, but sadly, the touch doesn't play ID ringtones for text messages. this was quite a surprise, but i still love this phone.
  • Here is what I do WITHOUT a micro SD card. I go to the Verizon website (www.verizonwireless.com) and login to My Verizon. I then go to the menu at the top, put my cursor over Messaging then in the drop down follow this path Picture & Video Messaging/send Picture & Video Message. This will bring you to a page where you can upload sound and video files. Using Audacity (as mentioned before) create your sound clip of 30 seconds or less. Upload it to the Verizon website by clicking the "Upload Media" button. Once uploaded it will appear in the list. To see your file names just move your cursor over the file and a title will pop up. Next just click and drag the clip over to the section to the right of the file list. THIS IS IMPORTANT: drag your file in front of the red box on the screen, a new message box with your file will appear. Next click the "Preview & Send" button. Enter your cell phones number with no spaces or hyphens and send the file. The file will be sent to your phone as a text message. Just open the text message and the sound will play. Then just click the icon in the upper right corner under the battery meter and select "Save as Ringtone" in the drop down. Then it's as easy as setting your ringtone as normal. They will also be available to set as voice mail or text message notifications.

I've done this many times with my new enV Touch. Enjoy the hassle free FREE ringtones.
  • edited August 2009
    BitPim has a built in tool for adding ringtones, which is what I use. You select your audio file, select the quality, and it has a built in clipping tool that allows you to choose the length and where the ringtone cuts in or out. Then you name it and sync your phone. If anyone would like a more detailed tutorial, I can write one up, just let me know.