Tutorial: Convert video files to play on the enV Touch

The env touch has a very nice display, its 800x480 in resolution which provides a very nice clarity. Seeing as no one else has posted a tutorial, and this is a feature worth exploring, here is a quick tutorial for playing videos on the env touch

step 1: Download SUPER
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SUPER-Download-23696.html

step 2: Install, then run

step 3: Copy the settings in this image... if you know what you are doing, you can tinker a bit but I don't recommend it
http://i30.tinypic.com/16k3wba.png

step 4: right click somewhere, choose output location to somewhere where you can find it...press convert, wait for the file to finish converting

step 5: plug in your microsd into your PC and copy your new converted video file to the folder called my_flix

thats it. then just go to my videos on your phone and the file should play

here is a photo (with the backlight dimmed since its hard to take pictures of a backlight) of a 640x360 anime video
http://i26.tinypic.com/rcsp6x.jpg

Comments

• Thanks for the tutorial, linkiboy. I'll add it to the list. Just to make sure: is SUPER free software, and free of spyware? I've had people advertising some pretty shady stuff on previous forums.
  • it's free, and its free of spyware, adware, viruses, etc. its just a GUI for GPL software like mencoder or ffmpeg but it works well

I've been using it for years for video conversions and such.
  • Excellent, great tutorial.
  • Hi everyone, great tutorial linkiboy. I tried that and works really good. Another option I am also using Pazera and seems to be working very good converting AVI to 3g2 with very fast conversion speed and quality results. It's free, no watermarks, or file size limits. http://download.cnet.com/Pazera-Free-Video-to-3GP-Converter/3000-2194_4-10805962.html?tag=mncol You can get a 700mb source file converted down to 150-175mb range for your phone.

The setting are a bit different than SUPER. Basically you want to select the 3g2 output, mpeg 4, bitrate 200 or 250, fps 14.985 or 12.9, for the audio 32k, stereo, 8k hrz. I can get an exact replica of the aspect ratio if I match the output to the input file's pixel size, or select the program's preset smaller settings (351 x ?), you can then use the env's expand function to view a larger/full screen. Although some video might view slightly compressed or stretched using this option. If anyone is interested I can try and post some screen shots of the settings.

Cheers! and happy movie watching.
  • "I fart in your general direction!"
  • I did whatever you said and it did work, but right now I try to convert to mp4 but it doesn't do it anymore..
    the popup says.. list index out of bounds (163) sometimes 161
    what does that mean?
  • @ mstyle15: more than likely something is wrong with the source file you are trying to convert. What exactly is hard to say. And I've also heard of this error happening occasionally when converting a movie that has subtitles.
  • I tried using Pazera Video to 3GP converter and the audio always gets out of sync with the video or vis versa. The three times that I tried it, it was out of sync. What am I doing wrong?
  • could be a couple things. sometimes you can re sync by fast fowarding a few seconds during playback. this has happened to me on a couple files and realized I had too much running in the background which slowed down my computer. can you share your settings? (from env touch mobile) =)
  • edited September 2009
    If you download videos from facebook, realplayer downloads it as mp4 so no converting. With youtube it downloads it as flv.
  • edited September 2009
    @Daveo
    I used the same settings you posted.
    Output format: 3G2
    VIDEO:
    MPEG-4 AVC
    Bitrate: 250 kbit/s
    FPS:14.985

AUDIO:
    AudioCodec: AAC
    Bitrate: 32kbit/s
    Sampling freq: 8000 Hz
    Channels: 2-stereo
    And fast forwarding thru playback does not work.
  • couldnt use it with out it putting a watermark on the video. any ideas?
  • @Weapon-X one possible way to fix this would be to adjust the FPS conversion rate up or down depending on the source file frame rate. Try to go half of what the source is, or as close as you can get.
  • edited September 2009
    BAH.
    I tried using the closest FPS setting which was 23.976 and that didn't work so I tried setting it to half of the source files FPS which was 12.5 (the lowest and closest).
    Neither FPS settings worked.
    Here's my source file specs:
    Width: 664 pixels
    Height: 268 pixels

AUDIO
    Duration: 1:52:04
    Bit Rate: 112kbps
    Audio Format: MPEG Layer-3

VIDEO
    Frame Rate: 23 frames/second
    Data Rate: 855 kbps
    Video Sample Size: 12 bit
    Video Compression: XVID

I'll try converting a different movie and see what happens. I don't know why I didn't try that lol.
    -EDIT-
    A different movie I just converted had it's audio in sync. It's safe to say my source file is messed up and I don't know why.
    Unconverted, it plays fine but after, the audio gets out of sync. I know there are audio/video syncing programs out there but I'm just too damn lazy.
  • Ok I have a bunch of video in the MP4 format. So I am trying to load them onto my phone through BitPim and it worked on one. But it also put another copy but its an error and I cant seem to get ride of it.

The other problem I am having is that video's are showing up in my_flix folder but its not showing up when I go to my video's on my phone. I have re-booted the phone and also Bitpim and went back through file system and got to my_flix and they are still showing.

So I tried to delete from my phone in BitPim and it did.. but then when I looked on my phone in the my video folder there were 2 error files.

Finally is the only way to add video to my SD card is by hooking up a usb card reader or is it ok to do it through BitPim like I am.

Sorry if this is sloppy just in a rush my in-laws just got here.
    just been annoyed about this situation.

thanks so much to anyone that can help me out.
    Thanks all....
  • i have an answer to your second question. i think its better if u sync ur movies/videos thru something like windows media player instead of bitpim.
  • R there any easier ways?!?!?!?!?
  • @ Weapon-X, glad you got it sorted out.

@ jamestort, have you tried to drag and drop the files directly to the phone? hook the phone up to the computer via usb, it should ask you if music or data, select data. (if it doesn't then make sure your USB auto detection is set for "ask on plug".) Then on the phone go to settings and tools, tools, then scroll down to USB Mass Storage. A windows explorer window should pop up and you can navigate the folders on your phone. Open the folder you want to put files into, Then just drag and drop files into folder. this works for video and music even though the phone is set for data transfer.
  • Here's another great video converter. This takes truly any video file and converts to any other. No watermarks, etc. The mp-4 settings work great as is for the Touch. Just take resulting file and add to my_flix.

http://download.cnet.com/Any-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10661456.html
  • I know this may seem like I'm reviving a dead thread but I found a video converter made JUST for the LG enV Touch.
    Here is the link: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/lg-env-touch/

Videora LG enV Touch Converter is a free LG enV Touch video converter that converts video files, YouTube videos, movies and DVD's so you can play them on your LG enV Touch. The software can convert all types of video files (avi, divx, xvid, flv, x264, vob, mpeg, DVD's, YouTube, etc.) into the proper video formats (MPEG-4, H.264) that play on the LG enV Touch. It is available for Windows and Mac.
  • I downloaded super and instantly after installing my antivirus identified it as malware :(
  • FYI, another method. I use CloneDVD Mobile (slysoft.com) to rip DVD's for my video iPods (MP4.) On a lark, I copied several MP4 files to my microSD card and was surprised to see the videos playing on the EnvTouch. I suppose I could change the video size to a larger format, but I'd rather rip the DVD once and use it on my iPods, BlackBerry, and EnvTouch.

For those with CloneDVD Mobile, enjoy!
  • wow thanks linkiboy worked AmAzInGlY
  • linkiboy, what does it mean to copy settings in this image. it problem is a dumb question but i dont know.
  • Another way....
    I downloaded real player at http://www.real.com/ and installed it. Real is a nice tool to download almost any internet video, convert the video and put the video on the microsd or wherever you need it. So to start, first go to youtube and find a video (almost any site works with this, but in here, i'm using youtube). Either right click it or put your cursor around the screen until you see "download video" button or something similar. It should then pop up with downloading video. After it's done, click on the transter to device button, but instead of selecting lg env touch, select samsung glyde (however, other options may work) and select the sd card. After that, you must go to the card using finder or win explorer and you will see the files, just drag and drop it into the folder. Volia!
    (If this was confusing, go to http://www.real.com/realplayer/tour. Remember to select the device as samsung glyde instead of env touch)

Idk if you want to use this or not, i like it though :)
  • ok i'm not as techie as you guys seem to be but all i do is download MPEG 4 and it just fits the screen no extra work needed, well as far as i can tell.