Using your Env Touch as a modem. (Dun-Hack)

edited September 2009 in enV Touch General
Well I just got off the phone with Verizon Wireless tech support.
It turns out that if you talk at someone enough and sound smart enough they will come around to your way of thinking.

After looking at the Dun-hack on this site I read my contract carefully. It turns out that you DO have the legal right to teather your phone to your laptop, provided you don't do anything illegal with it.

I have requested that the represenative review and discuss this issue further with people in the company who are more in the know and may be able to shed further light on my question about teathering.
It appears that since you are using 3rd party software with the phone as the modem and the unlimited data usage plan is in effect there will be no additional charges for using my phone as a modem for my laptop.

How about them apples?
Anywho, I'm going to refrain from stating that this is a final answer until I have written confirmation either via email or paper.

Comments

• What is considered "doing something illegal"? downloading pirated movies or breaking some verizon rule
  • Look, i'm not going to read your contract for you. You want to know what Verizon calls illegal? read all those pieces of paper that you signed when you got your phone.
    Those contracts do more than protect Verizon from you sueing them, they also lay out in black and white what exactly you are getting for your money.

Bottom line read your contract before asking a question this stupid.
  • Ghrrum, I hate to come down on someone, but since you're a person that is "in the know" as it were, and this is a community for sharing information on our new phones, I think it was a little mean to go off on chriskeo for asking a question. Yes, we all should read our contracts, but someone such as yourself that has this vast knowledge on the legality of things and the customer agreement in general, and then posting said information on the forums, you should expect that other forum users would have questions about certain legalities. Perhaps he was looking to your expertise before digging through his contract paperwork.
  • Alright, I admit I was a bit harsh. So for chriskeo, sorry for biting your nose off.

I'm not an "insider" with Verizon, I just read the contract and called with a whole bunch of questions.
    They decided that my view of things was correct and acceptable, and the rep I spoke to agreed that since I was not going to be using Verizon software to make my phone into a modem, I was not going to be charged anything in addition to my normal package.
    Here's the crux of the matter,
    If you don't read your contract and you don't talk to the folks at Verizon, they are probably going to charge you extra. When they do, you need to be armed, you need to be aware of what you agreed to and what Verizon agreed to.

If anyone DOES want to post their contract (and they are standard for all users) I can point out what I used in my conversation with the VZ rep.
    You have to remember, there isn't a single person at VZ who knows about your contract unless you are a large account. Since we are all personal subscribers, our contracts are going to be very similar, but they are not going to know jack about the details.

The upshot of this is that you can TELL them how the contract works, if you sound like you know what you're doing and what you're talking about, they are going to bow to your apparent knowledge.
  • Since a few of you aren't interested in wading through the BS that VZ makes you agree to here are a few things you should be aware of.

Special Discounts
    You may be eligible for a discount on your monthly access fee based on
    your affiliation with an organization that has an agreement with us, or
    if you qualify under a government employee discount program. To
    validate that you meet the eligibility requirements for such a discount,
    we may require you to provide proof of your affiliation with your
    organization upon activation of service or when you make changes to
    your account or (other than for a government employee discount
    program) we may share certain information relating to your service
    (including your name, your wireless telephone number and total
    monthly charge)with your organization to verify your affiliation.We may
    adjust your discount in accordance with your organization’s agreement
    with us and remove your discount after your minimum term expires or
    if you end or change your affiliation with the organization. You agree
    that any change or removal of your discount, based on your affiliation
    with the organization or your organization’s agreement with us, shall
    not be considered to have a material adverse effect on you.

This means that you should ask, Teachers, Police, Civil Service, City, State, Federal, and Military all are eligible for discounts. Go into the store, make a nuisance of yourself and ask, the worst they will do is say no.

Your Rights for Dropped Calls or Interrupted Service
    If you get disconnected by our network from a voice call in your Home
    Rate and Coverage Area, redial. If the same number answers within
    5 minutes, call us within 90 days and we’ll give you a 1-minute airtime
    credit. If service is interrupted in your Home Rate and Coverage Area for
    more than 24 hours in a row due to our fault, call us within 180 days and
    we’ll give you a credit for the period of interruption. These are your only
    rights for dropped calls or interrupted service.

tldr;
    You don't have service for over 24 hours, they will give you a credit for not having service for that period. Of course you must normally have service in the area where there is an outage. Keep this in mind after bad storms and events that are going to stop cellphone service.

Our Rights to Limit or End Service or This Agreement
    You agree not to resell our service to someone else without our prior
    written permission. You also agree your wireless phone won’t be used
    for any other purpose that isn’t allowed by this agreement or that’s illegal.
    You agree that you won’t install, deploy or use any regeneration
    equipment or similar mechanism(for example, a repeater) to originate,
    amplify, enhance, retransmit or regenerate a transmitted RF signal.WE
    CAN,WITHOUT NOTICE, LIMIT, SUSPEND OR ENDYOUR SERVICE OR ANY
    AGREEMENT WITH YOU FOR THIS OR ANY OTHER GOOD CAUSE,
    including, but not limited to: (i) if you: (a) breach this agreement; (b) pay
    late more than once in any 12 months; (c) incur charges larger than a
    required deposit or billing limit (even if we haven’t yet billed the charges);
    (d) provide credit information we can’t verify; (e) become insolvent or go
    bankrupt; (f ) lie to us; (g) allow anyone to tamper with your phone; or (ii)
    if you, any user of your phone or any authorized contact on your account:
    (a) threatens or commits violence against our representatives; (b) uses
    vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (c)
    steals from us; (d) harasses our representatives; (e) interferes with our
    operations; (f )“spams,”or engages in other abusive messaging or calling;
    (g)modifies your phone from its manufacturer’s specifications; or (h) uses
    the service in a way that adversely affects our network or other
    customers.We can also temporarily limit your service for any operational
    or governmental reason. If you file for bankruptcy, our rights to limit,
    suspend or end your service or any agreement with you will be governed
    by bankruptcy law.

;tldr
    Be nice to the VZ reps, it is grounds for them to cancel your service.
    Don't lie to them, this is also grounds for them to cancel your service.
    No spamming or harassment via text, they can cancel your service.
    Any other reason they want to think up is also grounds to cancel your service.

There are a few other documents that I don't have handy right now, if you happen across any of VZ's legalease you want translated post it here and I'll give you my impression of it.
  • Awesome stuff, thanks for the translation! A lot of us folk don't speak legalease, so finding out what they're REALLY saying can sometimes be a pain. Thanks for the input sir!
  • ok so ive been using this for a quit a while now, and its worked pretty well, but recently my internet connection through my phone will just stop out of nowhere, and the only way i can get it going again is to unplug my phone, plug it back in, and reconnect. can anybody tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?? i use windows XP