Talk to Text

edited February 2010 in enV Touch Apps
Is therea talk to text app. available for the Touch? My friend just got the Droid, and he has that app available. Anyone know?

Comments

• i also wish this was posible. i dont think so though. my dad has it on his blackberry and he likes it alot.
  • Mine actually reads the text when they come in - there was a setting one the phone to turn on the read out loud option. It says the name and number of who it came from as well as the context of the message.
  • isnt it built in? never tried it, but i think it is
  • spaceman is looking for the reverse. Touch will read emails to you. He wants to be able to speak to the phone and have it convert it to a text message.
  • yes. im quite sure you can
  • You've found a way for the Touch to do voice to text conversion, v94?
    I'd love to hear how.
  • i didnt find it. its just there. never used it though. but i can look into it. probably in the manual
  • Well, v94, when you find it in the manual, let me know the page number. I must have missed it the first 5 times I read through the book.

In the meantime:
    Sorry guys, the best we can do at this point is inserting a voice recording into a text meassage.
  • ok. just press the middle button on the front, say send message, listen to the prompts. didnt need the manual
  • edited March 2010
    V94, did you actually try this? You can voice prompt to send a text message, yes, but all it does is call up a screen for you to type a text message. That's not what we're talking about here. They want to be able to speak into the phone and have what they say converted to text so that it can be sent as a regular text message.
  • yeah. i see. i could swear i read it somewhere or something..
  • v94:
    It is best not to post responses to questions if you can't back them up. Just thinking something can be done can cause someone to waste a lot of time for no reason at all.
    Many of the people who come here for help expect concise and correct answers, we do them a disservice if we provide conjecture, unless we label it as such.
  • yeah. i said i didnt try it, didnt i
  • I think that buffalo was meaning that you should try BEFORE you post that it works, instead of wasting everyone's time.
  • Maybe you should go back and read your posts.
    True, you never said you tried it, but you were pretty insistent that it could be done. Not helpful to anyone!
  • didnt say it works. threw it out there for thought. still could swear i read it somewhere. not sure what everyone doesnt get
  • "i didnt find it. its just there. never used it though. but i can look into it. probably in the manual"
    "ok. just press the middle button on the front, say send message, listen to the prompts. didnt need the manual"
    Those seem like pretty assertive statements to me.

It's not that we don't get what you mean, but we just wish that more people would try things out before they post them, especially if no one else has heard of the feature.
  • ok. i get it. but then the v08 firmware update was mostly just speculation and ideas. at least i said upfront that i didnt try it for crying out loud. a lot of this site is rumors and guessing. thats what discussion is about, isnt it?
  • Thanks, petey. I was beginning to feel like I was alone out here.
  • yeah. i think you should point fingers elsewhere. next time i guess ill have to write a full legal disclaimer when i post
  • This discussion is about a simple question in need of a simple answer. This thread has no need for "speculation and ideas".
  • then drop it!
  • not looking for a fight. i just enjoy this forum and try to offer input
  • v94:
    Actually the v08 firmware update was real, and is real again (at stores only at this point). And I was lucky enough to update my phone online during the small window it was available. I posted that I did so successfully and commented on how much I like the new browser.
    When the update was pulled, I offered "opinion" on why it was pulled, recently coinfirmed, and also offered "opinion" that the update on the browser was so significant that I thought Verizon would make it available again as quickly as possible, and it has.
    Does this mean I'm a guru, no! Nor am I a psychic, I try not to speculate when someone wants an answer to a technical question, unless I specifically say it is just a guess. I do not get too involved in some of the hacking of paid-for applications because I have some ethical concerns, but I have successfully done the DUN hack and frequently change wallpapers, themes and flash games replacements for EZCalc and World Clock.
    But probably most important, I admit when I've made a mistake, apologize if I answered a question wrong, and recognize when someone has provided a better answer than mine, and rejoice in truly new tips and other posts that help me enjoy my phone.
    I think you should enjoy the forum, Petey and I certainly do, but I don't feel the need to post for posting sake and I can go weeks without posting at all if I don't have anything of value to contribute. This isn't Facebook or Twitter.
    Now, let's move on . . .
  • i guess i made a mistake too. i apologize too. i could swear it was a feature i read about when i bought it. i did say i havent tried it though. never needed it. so i apologize. its just that i threw it out there not cuz i guessed, but more like wrong info. i have posted lots of value i think. ive played with about 10 env touches for about 9 months. i wouldnt never want anyone to brick their phone, nor would i say anything to the possibility of it. the main tab does say discussion. everybody helps here in their own way i think. its a good forum!
  • But probably most important, I admit when I've made a mistake, apologize if I answered a question wrong, and recognize when someone has provided a better answer than mine, and rejoice in truly new tips and other posts that help me enjoy my phone.

me too!
  • That's cool. The point was not that you posted something you weren't sure of, but that when another member questioned your answer you didn't verify it before posting again. I was sure of my answer because the question had been asked and answered and verified before on this forum. I didn't call you on it directly because quite honestly I would have loved to have been proved wrong. I would really like voice to text capability and if you really could show us how to do it, I'd be the first to sing your praises.
    I hope you continue to monitor our site and post whenever you have something to contribute. It is what this site is for!
  • to go one further, you and petey have been valuable here from your knowledge. im quite certain everyone here appreciates it. i do!
  • I would also like to extend my apologies for my rash behavior. I don't really find you at fault, but I get annoyed by all of the people who repeatedly ask ignorant questions (not you), and take it out on a person that I have seen.
  • accepted. please accept mine.